Friday, May 24, 2013

Jaser's ACC Project Reflection #1 (P15)

Jaser Alsharhan
05-24-13
10:50 PM
P15



ACC Project Reflection #1
To My Fellow Toilers:

The ACC Project was definitely an eye-opening experience. Correction: the ACC Project helped me understand my ability to work under pressure. Overall, I felt that I was constantly challenged by the time-crunch developed by our stringent class schedule. I always knew that I worked well when I capitulate to my procrastinator tendencies; however, rather than planning to save work to the last minute, this project tested my ability to work in a constrained time lapse with no option but to deliver during this time period.

The project itself was simplistically conceived and executed through the ease of technology. Since my group was able to create multiple google docs, with all of the necessary pieces to the puzzle, my group functioned efficiently and effectively to finish our backgrounder and information for volunteers. In order to complete the Congolese Backgrounder, I read a myriad of different sources to learn about the acculturation process of Congolese refugees in the United States.  These readings included sources about the assembly of legislative bodies to combat the issue of the overabundant, uneducated, underrepresented, marginalized population of the Congolese. In addition, I read the good majority of a book concerning the resettlement of refugees in Great Britain. My hope was to create an analogous account of the resettlement process so that individuals in the United States could apply similar, successful practices in America in accordance with the successful practices of Great Britain.

Thus, the researching portion of the project was arduous but appreciated. I learned so much about the different public policy methods implemented to accommodate refugees. This opened my eyes to a new world of refugee dilemmas and economic implications. While reading and studying these different sources, I focused on the application of these concepts to big business and the private and non-profit sectors. So what if I know about Great Britain policies to help refugees in the workplace? I needed to know how to make this information applicable to the general business employer, hoping to hire a refugee. This was an interesting angle to attack—my audience was very specific. I needed my Congolese Backgrounder to be narrowly-tailored for this audience. This was a challenge as I had never imagined life from their limited point of view. In the process of writing, I discovered, unfortunately, that the general business employer is only looking for one piece of the pie, one portion of the triple-bottom-line, one steadfast truth: profit. With this in mind, I had to make sure to market the accomplishments and skills of these unique individuals, which could then produce profit for any type of business (versatility was the angle!) I had to portray the incoming refugees as commodities, as rarities, as gems of a treasury of ordinary workers. Fortunately, this was not too difficult. Naturally, refugees come with their own set refined economic and working skills. These skills serve them well in any position, and their overall persistent, courageous, and determined personalities will help drive their success in any position.

In regards to the “Information for Volunteers” section, I would judiciously claim that my section was the easiest as I am a volunteer and can adlib my advice for any future volunteer. In this section, I primarily focused on developing a plan for future volunteers to arrange travel to the African Community Center. I formulated the “Tips and Tricks” section as a way to pay homage to my street smarts and pass on this very valuable information to prospective volunteers.

Overall, the two sections which I primarily focused on were great triumphs in the final deliverable. While there is always room for improvement, Aileen, Taylor, and I dedicated ourselves to providing and eloquently writing information concerning Information for Volunteers and Congolese Refugees. My interview with previous refugee and Employment Specialist for the ACC, Mani, concretely defined this special relationship which I have with the African Community Center, their respective employment needs, and the demand for volunteers. Through this project I learned to efficiently work under pressure, communicate with team members using technology (sans face-to-face interaction), and reach out to organizations for supplemental information regarding refugees.

During this group project, I made the mistakes of not communicating well with my group and taking too strong of a position on the sections that I wanted to cover in the Backgrounder and Information sections. My life motto (as it states on my twitter account) is that if you are not doing something right, you might as well not bother doing it at all. This motto is something that I would like to alter in the course of my upcoming projects. I should not have an “all or nothing” mentality for each and every project, because this framework then spawns the need for unrealistic perfection.  In future projects, I would like to work on modifying this “all or nothing” notion, and simply try my hardest for the sake of group consistency, collective collaboration, and ultimate prosperity.

With this goal comes a flexible, down-to-earth, and servant leader, toiling for the sake of the unified group rather than the personal ego.

Peace and Blessings,

Jaser

No comments:

Post a Comment