05-21-13
P13
Through our email correspondence, I was able to finally grasp the extent which Mani fully supports the ACC as an employment specialist. I had quite the trouble actually setting up a feasible time for us both to meet, so the following transcript from the interview is actually Mani’s transparent and actual written word. This was the only available option, and I apologize for the tardiness of this report.
I think, in comparison to those who interviewed professionals in person, Mani’s responses are very well thought-out, composed, and succinct. As a refugee himself, Mani understands the complexities of acculturation in a new environment, the demanding field of the American workplace, and the process of attaining a sustainable position as an official employee. Mani, as an employment specialist, was also able to contribute an interesting perspective on the pitfalls of non-profit work and the challenge in solidifying relationships between the ACC and the public sector:
Q. What is the procedure
for employing a refugee?
·
For
every employable refugee, we will provide employment services that include ESL,
job training, job-placement and follow up. Refugees are eligible to receive
services for five years and any time they can come to us if they lost their
job.
Q. Do you guys
have a system for allowing refugees to assimilate to American culture?
·
Well,
the goal of whole resettlement program is to make refugees self-sufficient
through integration. To promote assimilation of refugees to the local community
we have the First Friend program where we provide local first friend for the
newly arrived refugees. Besides we have Supplemental Employment Services
program where we have volunteers and interns come and interact with refugees.
Q. Has this
designed program been given to you by someone else?
·
The
program is designed internally to provide more rooms for assimilation to the
refugee population.
Q. What are the
protocols for employing a refugee?
·
Refugees
are placed in different programs funded by Federal and State government and
each program has a time limit. We ensure that the refugees are placed in jobs
before the end of the program.
Q. What are the
struggles? Easiest portion of job placement?
·
Linguistic
barrier and not having transferable job skills are the challenges to place
refugees in to job. The good side is that refugees are willing to take any
entry level jobs which are more easily available.
Q. External
support from outside agencies?
·
Well,
we work very closely with the refugee networks that provide different
employment services to the refugee population that includes ESL classes,
cultural orientation and job skill training which is helping majority of the
refugees to get jobs.
Q. Do you feel
like your efforts in job placement have been constrained by budgetary
considerations?
·
Budgetary
part is usually managed by the management team, I do feel some constrain but I
do not have the bigger picture of it.
Q. What is your
picture of a successful refugee?
·
Majority
of refugees attend self-sufficiency within a year or so and are living a decent
life. Many moved to professional jobs starting from entry level. In general
refugees are making a great progress even at the backdrop of various
challenges.
Q. How do you
feel about your personal work at the ACC?
·
I
am really happy with what I am doing here at ACC. I myself was resettled by ACC
five years ago and I feel a great leap with the opportunity to serve the
organization that served me.
Q. What is your
favorite refugee story?
·
From
nowhere to somewhere to begin a new life and achieving success every new day.
Q. Noticed a
culture shock with refugees?
·
Of
course there is no transition without cultural shock in the new country totally
different from their own. However with the adequate support system in place for
refugees helps them to overcome the cultural shock.
Q. Jobs that have
a refugee-retentive atmosphere?
·
Hotels,
restaurants, commercial cleaning and JBS beef plant for those who have limited
or no English proficiency.
Q. How do you
match refugee expectations with what is actually feasible?
·
We
provide services for five years, we help refugees to apply low income housing
and we refer them to different service provider for additional support.
Q. How is it trying
to find jobs in the Denver Community?
·
Of
late Denver Community has started knowing the refugee population and their work
ethic which is enabling refugees to get more jobs around Denver metro.
Q. How have you
joined the refugee experience?
·
I
myself came in Denver as a refugee and I spent sixteen years of my life in a
refugee camp which helped me to understand refugee experience both pre and post
resettlement.
Reflection:
My correspondence with Mani honestly transcended the relationship which I ever thought possible. From the inception of our email ping-pong match, I could feel this overwhelming sense of humility and kindness. Not at one point during this correspondence was Mani ever rude or frustrated. While my tone in the email was very demanding and surely connoted a sense of “superiority” (in the manner which I gave an assignment rather than inviting him to a discussion), Mani was always respectful and willing to work with me on this project. Although he was out of town for the majority of our correspondence, he still took a generous amount of time to address my concerns and prospective scheduling.
For a prime example of Mani’s supreme character, one needs to look no further than the picture attached to this blog post (above). His picture paints a story of a man willing to accommodate. Right after I sent him an email asking for a picture I could use to supplement the report, he took a “selfie” using his iPhone right on the spot. This type of unnecessary accommodation is unmatched by any other professional I have contacted via email; moreover, this action is very much reflective of his general persona. The positive experience I have had with Mani the past couple of days (through email, nonetheless) has been enlightening and rewarding. He surprised me. But, I think, just like I stated in my analysis of a refugee story. We should refuse to categorize refugees as a separate class—they are humans and they are capable of surprising, accommodating, and ultimately, enlightening others. Their stories start with a listener, one that is prepared to be wowed by the inspiring character of someone who has suffered but is willing to heal.
No comments:
Post a Comment