Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Revising Refugee (P2)



Jaser Alsharhan
03-26-13
P2

Ahh Revising Refugee...alliteration at its finest...


What would it mean to work with refugees? 

It would mean “Listening to their stories”

In comparison to my original statement about refugees, I have come to “terms” (literally) with what it means to be a refugee. When reading the UNHCR report entitled Protecting Refugees, I was astonished to learn that I have been using many terms incorrectly for the past couple of years—both socially and academically speaking.  In my personal opinion, it is imperative for individuals to utilize the correct term when labeling some situation or someone. The vernacular of the UNHCR is fascinating because I never knew that there were such terms which could accurately describe refugees or other migrants at different points in their respective journeys. 

For example, the asylum-seeker. This term struck me as connoting a deeper understanding of a refugee’s persona and confirmed desires: seeking recognition from a foreign land, seeking “material” and protection from a foreign land.  Next – the economic migrant. This would be the term I would have normally used to describe a refugee. However, the two are completely separate entities. An economic migrant most definitely can return to his or her homeland. Alternatively, a refugee cannot return home because of safety reasons.  Before reading this report, I never truly focused on “forcefulness” of the state of being a refugee. I never fully understood the implications of leaving a country (in comparison to an Internally Displaced Person) and seeking refuge in another because one was “forced” from his or her own country entirely.

I would like to revise my original definition of “refugee.” By adding the difference between a refugee and those who are simply abandoning their land or home, I feel that I can finally understand what it means to be a refugee. The fact of the matter is that a refugee is forced from his or her land in order to survive, he or she is victim or circumstance, not knowing what path will lead where or how they will receive protection or shelter or love in the near future. Refugee settlement is not about self-betterment; rather, it is a term used to describe survival and carnal instinct.

With this new definition in mind, it may take a little more than empathy when working with the refugees. Before assisting those at the refugee center, I hope to learn more about coping methods for varying ergonomic environments. If found that in any situation of unfamiliarity, it is best to just listen. Everyone has a story—one just needs to be willing to listen. Thus, I think there is much to learn about being strong in the face of adversity, being able to adjust to new environments, and being a good listener rather than speaker.

It would mean “Listening to their stories” 

Peace and Blessings!
Jaser

No comments:

Post a Comment